DETROIT – The Global Automotive & Mobility Innovation Challenge has selected 12 truly innovative start-ups to move on the World Finals of its 11th annual competition.
The 12 Finals teams will refine and hone their pitches in March to prepare for the GAMIC Finals at SAE’s WCX World Congress in Detroit’s Cobo Center on April 9. The winning teams will receive a total of over $300,000 of in-kind assistance and cash; GAMIC finalists also receive exposure to senior executives of OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers.
GAMIC contestants compete in four technology categories –
1) Vehicle Electrification, V2X Communication and Advanced Mobility;
2) Advanced Materials, Sensors, Actuators and Manufacturing Processes;
3) Infotainment, Auto Consumer / Value Add and Value Chain / New Business Models; and
4) New High-Value, Disruptive Technology Innovations
Collectively, the 2019 finalists represent three countries and five U.S. states with promising new technologies in the areas of: advanced materials; advanced manufacturing; consumer; advanced powertrain; autonomous vehicle enablers; and value-chain innovation.
The teams presented in four morning and afternoon sessions at the Semi-Finals, which was held at Schoolcraft College on Feb. 26, to a group of auto industry, mobility and start-up judges. The judges scored the teams and selected the top companies to move on to the Finals based on their business plans and the potential impact of their technologies on the mobility industry. With a keynote from the former President of SAE International, Doug Patton – as well as other speakers on ADAS, Intellectual Property, Team Building How-To’s, and Financing a Start-up – the day was filled with excitement.
This year’s GAMIC finalists are:
- Bedestrian: Bedestrian is a last-mile delivery company utilizing a driverless vehicle system consisting of a pilot vehicle and a modular trailer for indoor and outdoor (Urban) delivery. Ann Arbor, MI www.bedestrian.com
- Bmmpr: The Smart Alarm for Cars. Notifications in around 6 seconds if something has disturbed your vehicle. San Diego, CA www.bmmpr.com
- Energsoft: Energsoft is a software analytics platform for batteries and energy storage. We help OEM’s and energy storage manufacturers find defects, understand performance and select the best batteries for their products. Seattle, WA www.energsoft.com
- Enviro Clean Diesel: The Diesel Particulate Removal System (DPRS) utilizes a unique plasma-emitting probe installed into a diesel exhaust pipe which vaporizes particulate matter. Benefits include: improved fuel efficiency and reduced downtime; no regeneration cycle or no need for diesel exhaust fluid; and less soot and NOx. St. Louis, MO www.envirocleandiesel.com
- GBatteries: GBatteries’ technology enables li-ion batteries to charge ultra-fast while retaining long cycle life. ActiveBMS is a charging protocol that significantly improves battery performance without altering its chemistry or manufacturing process. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada www.gbatteries.com
- Joyride Technologies: Joyride is a global micro-mobility platform that helps cities reduce their carbon footprint by enabling sustainable transportation. Joyride allows local operators launch a fleet of bikes or scooters anywhere in the world. Waterloo, Ontario, Canada www.joyride.city
- Orbitless Drives: ORBITLESS is a patented, novel low-loss gearbox platform enabling ultra-low noise, super high-efficiency gear-heads ideally suited for electric motor applications. Vancouver, BC, Canada www.orbitless.com
- S3D Precision Dispensing: S3D creates specialty print heads and compound ink formulas that enable the manufacturing of flexible, embedded sensors, actuators, and electronics onto contoured and textured surfaces. S3D provides the enabling technology for next-generation electronics. Ann Arbor, MI
- SafeMode Tech: SafeMode’s cloud-based solution enhances fleets’ safety and efficiency by shifting the focus to the driver. Tel Aviv, Israel www.safemode.co
- VectorZero: VectorZero builds interactive road modeling and traffic simulation software. Our main product, RoadRunner, significantly speeds the creation of detailed road networks for simulation and testing. San Diego, CA www.vectorzero.io
- Voxel51: Find the signal in the noise of your camera sensor data using our automotive-grade computer vision platform. Ann Arbor, MI www.voxel51.com
- WaveSense: WaveSense enables the safest and most reliable navigation for self-driving vehicles by creating and tracking against subterranean maps of our roadways using ground-penetrating radar. Utilizing technologies developed for military use, self-driving vehicles using WaveSense can navigate in snow, rain, fog, poor/no lane markings, and other common but challenging conditions created by surface dynamics. Somerville, MA www.wavesense.io
GAMIC finalists also receive exposure to senior executives of OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers. Learn more about GAMIC at https://gamicevent.org
Winners of the GAMIC competition, competing in the above four categories, will receive more than $300k of in-kind commercialization assistance and cash to accelerate their business in the automotive and mobility space. In-kind commercialization prizes include public relations, legal, incubation, financial modeling, engineering modeling, investor prep, and targeted executive introductions – as well as exposure to senior members of OEMs or Tier 1 suppliers with decision-making responsibility, budgets, and the need for the types of technologies our GAMIC winners offer. There will also be $10k awarded by PlanetM for the two Best in Michigan Innovation Companies.
Previous GAMIC winners and competitors have gone on to greater success, including being acquired, inking licensing contracts, launching their products faster, and obtaining additional development funding due to their enhanced visibility.