Report: Michigan Tech Exports Up 6 Percent In 2017

Report: Michigan Tech Exports Up 6 Percent In 2017

SAN FRANCISCO – A new report from CompTIA showed the dollar value of tech product exports from Michigan increased by 6 percent, from $3.1 billion in 2016 to $3.3 billion in 2017, good for 14th place among the 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Tech services exports from Michigan were steady at $1.1 billion, ranking Michigan 21st nationally. Michigan’s tech exports directly supported an estimated 10,380 jobs in the state, the report showed.

This news is contained in CompTIA’s annual “Tech Trade Snapshot,” examining the economic and employment impacts of U.S. technology product and service imports and experts.

Other highlights include:

  • U.S. information technology exports reached an estimated $322 billion in 2017, an increase of 3.1 percent over the previous year. Tech is one of the largest sectors for exports in the U.S. economy.
  • Tech exports supported an estimated 805,000 U.S. jobs in 2016 (the most recent year of available data). Most of these jobs (70 percent) are related to tech product exports; with the remaining 30 percent link to exports of tech services.
  • Exports account for about $1 of every $4 generated by the U.S. tech industry. For some large companies with an extensive international presence, the percentage of sales attributed to exports is even higher, with some firms generating more than half of their revenue overseas.

The complete report is available on request via email; or it can be downloaded at https://www.comptia.org/resources/tech-trade-snapshot-2018.

 

By | 2018-06-05T18:56:05+00:00 June 5th, 2018|Featured, News|

About the Author:

Leave A Comment