DETROIT – TEDxDetroit has named its list of local influencers, event organizers and innovators to kick off the day-long conference Oct. 6 at Detroit historic Fox Theatre – and they include History Channel’s Mobsteel Cast Member Adam Genei; HistoSonics Inc. President and CEO of Christine Gibbons and more.
The question asked of the hundreds of people who submitted applications to speak was: “If you had the world’s attention for a few minutes, what would you share?”
“The secret to creativity is the cross pollination of ideas,” said TEDxDetroit curator Charlie Wollborg. “When we bring this gaggle of optimistic entrepreneurs, scientists, artists, geeks, educators and designers together, new ideas spring to mind and we stretch the boundaries of what’s possible.”
Also joining the 2016 lineup of speakers are:
- Aaron James Draplin, founder of Draplin Design Co.
- Rick Lax, deception expert, magician, magic creator, author and producer
- Khary Turner, executive director of the Coleman A. Young Foundation
- Eric Thomas, founder of Saga MKTG
- Dawn White, chief technology officer of Accio Energy
- Jeff Owens, chief technology officer of Delphi Automotive
- Bill McDonald, principal of Phoenix Haus
- Rick Robinson, Mr. CutTime of CutTime Productions and bassist in the Detroit Symphony Orchestra
- Christian Birky, founder of Lazlo
- Dave Meeker, vice president at Isobar
- Katie Mann, co-founder and CEO of 4th Wall Theatre Company
- Lisa Waud, creator of the Flower House
- Lungiswa Moore, creator of #mygirlsquad
- Mike Knight, co-owner and head trainer at Art of Strength
- Paulette Auchtung, planetarium and live theaters manager at the Michigan Science Center
- Ron Kagan, executive director and CEO of the Detroit Zoo
- Satori Shakoor, executive director of The Secret Society Of Twisted Storyteller
Kicking off at 8 a.m., conference goers will also draw inspiration from a selection of performers and artists, including: a showing of Anthem of Us, a short film produced by filmmaker Stephen McGhee; as well as performances by bluegrass band Shine on Kentucky Moon, improvisational atmospheric space orchestra Botanical Fortress, local soprano and Kresge Art Fellow Kisma Jordan, Detroit Bellydance performer Lana Mini, master puppeteer Patrick Elkins and local poets James Kaymore and Zaira Ware.
Legendary Detroit Street Artist Fel3000ft will also serve as the event’s artist in residence, creating a one of a kind canvas piece in the Fox Theatre Lobby throughout the day.
For more information, or to buy tickets, click on www.tedxdetroit.com